Matthew 2 – Authorised Lay Bible
1. And Jesus, having been born in Bethlehem, that is [of] Yudaea, in [the] days of Herod the king, behold, seers from the east arrived at Jerusalem.
2. Saying, somewhere around here, is born, king of the Jews, for we have seen his star in the east, and so we have come to [kiss his hands, fall upon the knees and touch the ground in reverence and] worship [to] him.
3. On hearing [this], Herod the king was distraught, [and] indeed all Jerusalem with him.
4. And gathering together all the chiefs of the priests and officers of the people, [he] enquired from them where the Christ [the Messiah] would be born.
5. And they said to him, “In Bethlehem, that is Yudaea, for in this manner, wrote the prophets.
6. “And you Bethlehem, land of Yudah, you are by no means the least in the leaders of Yudah: for out of you shall come forth a ruler, who shall shepherd my people Israel.”
7. At that time, Herod having called the seers, privately, ascertained exactly from them the time the star appeared.
8. And he sent them towards Bethlehem; saying, “Go, and thoroughly search accurately about [for] the young child; and after ye have found [him], bring me word again, that I also may come and [kiss his hand, fall upon my knees and touch the ground in reverence and] worship [to] him.
9. And they having heard the king, departed. And behold, the star which they saw [previously] in the east [country], led them forward, until it came and stood over [the place where] the child was.
10. On seeing the star, they cheered exceedingly with great joy.
11. And going into the house, they saw the young child with Mariam his mother, and falling prostrate, they did obeisance to him. And opening their treasuries, offered to him gifts: gold, and frankincense and also myrrh.
12. And having been warned by God through a dream not to return to Herod, they withdrew to their own country by another way.
13. However, when they had departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared by dream to Joseph, saying, “Awake, take with yourself, the young child and his mother and flee [to safety] into Egypt! And wait there until I command you by speech, for Herod is about to seek the young one to kill him.”
14. He awoke from sleep, took with himself the child and his mother that night, and withdrew to Egypt.
15. And was there until the death of Herod: so that it will be fulfilled the utterance by the Lord through the prophet saying, “Out of Egypt I called my son.”
16. At that time, Herod, seeing that he had been played by the seers, was wroth exceedingly. And ordered the slaying of all the children, those in Bethlehem, and in all the territories bordering it, those from two years and below, according to the time which he exacted from the Seers.
17. Then was fulfilled that spoken by Yeremiah the prophet, saying,
18. A voice in Ramah was heard, wailings and weeping and much lamentation, Rachel mourning [sobbing aloud] for her children, and would not be consoled because they exist no more.
19. But Herod having died, behold, an angel [of the] Lord in a dream appeared to Yoseph in Egypt,
20. Saying “Awake, take with yourself the infant and his mother also, and go into the land of Israel! For the ones seeking the life breath of the child’s have died.”
21. And waking up, he took to himself the child and his mother, and came into the land of Israel.
22. But on hearing that Archelaus governed over Judea in the place of Herod his father, he feared to go in there. However, having been warned by God, he turned aside towards the parts of Galilee.
23. And coming thereto, resided in a city called Nazareth; that it be fulfilled the word spoken through, the prophet, saying, “for he shall be called [named] a Nazarene”.
Started translation 22:10pm 1st January, 2016. Completed 02:17am January 3, 2016.