Philippians 2 – Lay Bible
1. Forasmuch therefore as our exhortation is in Christ, forasmuch as we should speak persuasively in love, forasmuch as we fellowship in the Spirit, forasmuch as we are in the bowels of his compassion,
2. I am filled up with joy, that you have the same mind, having the same love that we ourselves have; with one soul, that is one in purpose.
3. Not according to strife , [or] vainglory, but in humbleness of mind, everyone esteeming one another much more than himself.
4. Not looking out for yourselves alone, but also for one another.
5. For this mind is in you, which also was in Christ Jesus.
6. Who, in the form of God from the beginning, did not consider it to be robbery, to be equal with God.
7. But emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, [being made] in the likeness of men.
8. And came and was seen in the fashion and figure as a man, [he] humbled himself, [and] became obedient until his death, even the death of the cross .
9. Wherefore, the only God himself, has exulted him to the highest, above all authorities and graciously given him a name that is above every name,
10. That in the name of Jesus every knee shall bow, in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth.
11. And every tongue profess him as the Lord, Jesus Christ, to the glory of God the Father.
12. Wherefore, my beloved ones, just as you have always been obedient, not while in my presence only, but at this moment, much more in my absence, work diligently towards your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13. For God is he who is working energetically in you, even to the willing and the doing, for his good pleasure.
14. Do all things without murmurings and doubtings ,
15. That you may be blameless and unsullied , children of God, faultless in the midst of a warped and perverse generation, among whom you should shine as lights [givers] in the world.
16. Holding fast to the word of God, for me to boast about to the day of Christ, because it is not for nothing that I run [this course], it is not for nothing that I labour.
17. Howbeit, even if also I am poured out as a drink offering over the sacrifice for your faith, I will rejoice, and do rejoice still with you all.
18. Thus for this reason also, you should rejoice and be full of joy with me.
19. And I hope in the Lord Jesus, to send Timotheos shortly to you, so that I also shall be comforted in my soul, knowing things concerning you.
20. For I have no one like-minded, who genuinely cares for you.
21. For all the others seek things only for themselves, not the things [which are] of Christ Jesus.
22. But the proof of him is known to you, for as a father with his child, he served with me in the evangelisation of the good news .
23. This surely being so, I hope to send him forthwith, after considering the situation myself.
24. But persuaded in the Lord, that I myself shall also come.
25. It was necessary, nevertheless, for Epaphroditos to lead his brother, and being also a companion in the work and my fellow campaigner, but your apostle [messenger who is a public official [minister] in my work, [who was] sent by you.
26. Seeing his longing was for you all, and he was also troubled because you heard that he was sick.
27. For indeed he was sick, almost near [to] death, but the only God himself had mercy, not only on him, but on me also, so that I would not have sorrow upon sorrow.
28. Sooner than otherwise, therefore, I send him, so that by seeing him again you will rejoice, and I would be no more sorrowful.
29. Receive him therefore, in the Lord with all joy, and others such as him, have and hold in honour.
30. for because of the work of Christ, he was near death, disregarding the wellbeing of his soul in order to fill up your deficiency in public service to me.
Started translation 00:12am 10th December 2016, Completed translation 21:18pm 14th December 2016